Home Safe Buying Guide
Welcome to our home safe buying guide. In this post we look at the features that you should look for when buying a home safe. We also discuss the various types of homes safes that are available. If you have never bought a home safe before, the various features that are available can be confusing. The prices of different types of house safes can also vary a lot. So, should you buy a combination safe, or a biometric safe? Do you need a waterproof and fireproof safe? Read on, and this home safe buying guide will tell you all need to know about buying a house safe for your home.
Home Safe Buying Guide – What You Need to Think About First
Before you start hunting through the thousands of home safes on Amazon or other stores, here’s a few things for you to consider. Work out the answers to these questions first, and your hunt for the best home safe for your needs will be a lot easier.
How Much Do You Want to Keep in Your Home Safe?
The first question to ask yourself is how much stuff you will want to keep in your safe. Home safes vary in size from small lock boxes upwards. The sizes of safes are usually given in cubic feet. A 1.2- to 1.3-cubic-foot safe will hold a stack of paper 1 foot high. The external dimensions of a safe can be misleading, because of the thickness of the walls. So, check the cubic-foot capacity of a safe as well as the dimensions.
What Do You Want to Keep in Your Home Safe?
Think about what it is you want to keep in your home safe. If it’s important documents, you may need a fireproof and waterproof safe. If it’s expensive jewelry, the anti-theft features of the safe will be very important.
Where do You Live?
Where you live may also be a factor in what will be the best home safe for you. If you live in a flood prone area, a waterproof safe would be a good option for you. If you live in a remote area, you will need to think about how long it will take the emergency services to reach you in an emergency. That will determine how long you need a fireproof safe to resist fire for.
Where Will you Install the Safe?
Think about where you will put a safe before you buy it. Some very large and heavy safes are only suitable for installation on the ground floor. Remember that you are going to have get your safe through doorways and maybe up the stairs. Small safes will be more secure when they are bolted down, so think about a location you can bolt your safe to a solid wall or floor.
Do You Need A Fire Resistant Safe?
If you can’t make your mind up about if you need a fireproof safe, consider this. According to the National Fire Protection Association, the average American household will experience at least 5 fires in a lifetime. Fortunately, most of those fires will be very small and there will be no need to report it. However, it does show how high the risk of fire is. If you keep important, irreplaceable documents in your home, a fire-resistant safe would be a good choice for you.
Do You Need a Water Resistant Safe?
If you live in a flood prone area, you might want to consider a water resistant safe. Especially if you want to preserve important documents. If you live on the fifth floor of a city apartment block, though, this won’t be such a big issue.
How Often Will You Need to Access the Contents of Your Home Safe?
How often you need to access the contents of your home safe will determine where you install the safe and what type of safe you need. If you do often need to get things out of your safe, internal shelves will help keep things organized. You probably also wouldn’t want to install the safe in the basement. Biometric fingerprint safes are quicker and easier to open. But there are some drawbacks to biometric safes as well.
What Type of Locking Mechanism Do You Want?
There are four main types of locking mechanisms. You have are safes that lock with a key. You can buy biometric fingerprint safes. There are manual combination safes. And, there are electronic keypad safes. Each type has its advantages and disadvantages. Key lock safes are the simplest type of home safes, but they can be picked, and the keys can get lost. Manual combination safes are simple and secure. Electronic combination safes need power to work, usually a battery. They usually have an override key lock as well, though, in case the power fails. Biometric fingerprint safes are easy to use and secure, but they can suffer with false readings.
Home Safe Buying Guide – Features of the Best Home Safes
In this section of our home safe buying guide, we look at the features to look for in a safe. These are the things that will indicate that the safe is a good one. The items here that are important to you will depend on the type of safe that you are buying. As with all things in life, the price you pay for a home safe will be an important indicator of quality.
Weight and Size
Safes that are large and heavy will be more of a deterrent to thieves. A heavy safe is a good sign that is well-built. The thickness of the steel walls is very important in a safe. The best locking mechanism in the world will be of no use at all if a thief can get through the flimsy steel walls. A large, heavy safe will also be harder for a burglar to take away. If a thief can pick up a safe, they will take with them and get it open later. If you do buy a small, lightweight safe, make sure that you bolt it down.
Safes vary in their specifications. You can’t make any assumptions when buying one. If you need a fireproof safe, for example, make sure that the fire resistance rating is clearly listed in the specifications. The best home safes won’t be described simply as fire resistant. The specs will clearly state how long the safe can resist fire for. The same is the case for waterproof safes. Check how long the safe will resist water for and decide if that is long enough for your needs.
The best home safes will carry UL or ETK certifications. UL is the Underwriters Laboratory. ETK is Intertek. Both are independent organizations that test home safes against the manufacturers’ claims. These certifications are usually given in respect of water and fire resistance. Some safes also have UL certification for theft resistance. A TL-15 rated safe, for example, will resist attempts to break into it for up to 15 minutes. Unfortunately, many home safes do not carry this rating. So, features like weight, thickness of walls, and type of lock will need to be considered.
The price of home safes varies a lot. You can get an Amazon Basics 1.20 cubic feet safe for under $100. On the other hand, a similar sized, 1.23 cubic feet waterproof and fireproof SentrySafe will cost almost $200. The best thing to do is to buy the most expensive safe you can afford that meets your needs. However, within reason, any type of safe is more of theft deterrent than no safe at all. Most burglars want to get in and out of a house as fast as they can. The harder you make it for them to grab your valuables, the better. If you need a safe to store very valuable items, like a watch or jewelry collection, it would be advisable to consult a home safe specialist.
Best-Selling Home Safes
To give you a good idea of the various types of security safes that are available, here is a list of ten of the best-selling home safes.
- [Sturdy & Safe]:Tigerking high security digital safe is made of highly durable thick steel plate for long lasting and reliable protection;Equipped with 3-side,total 5 live-locking bolts,this safe offers physical protection from forced entry
- [Interior]:Security is the first function of a safe box,but the inner space is also important;The large safe equipped with removable shelf,can load documents,laptop,pistol,cash and medicine;The digital safe also has interior box with lock;You can have a secure place to load your own valuables such as cash, jewelry, passport and collection
- [Safe for Home, Hotel, Office]:The safe with an extremely high level of anti-theft function, the well-designed cabinet and classic colors will perfectly match the decoration style of your home, hotel and office
- [Smart warning system]: Security Safe can keep max 35 opening records, and allows you to program your own code with 1-8 digits. Dial “*” before enter the code can active the secure display feature ( the code you enter into will not been shown on the screen) , Violent vibration or Three- incorrect entries can activate the alarm system by sounding for 60 seconds
- 0.5-cubic-foot security safe with electronic lock and 2 emergency override keys
- Steel construction with carpeted floor to protect against scratches and damage; Safe is not fireproof or waterproof
- 2 live-door bolts and pry-resistant concealed hinges; adjustable/removable interior shelf
- Reprogrammable digital access; uses four AA batteries (not included)
- 1.8-cubic-foot home safe for storing important documents, jewelry, and other valuables
- Programmable electronic keypad ensures secure, easy operation; back-up key for emergency use
- Heavy-duty carbon-steel construction (8-gauge steel door and 14-gauge steel body); 2 live-door bolts and pry-resistant concealed hinges for superior security
- Includes pre-drilled mounting holes and hardware for floor and wall mounting
- Fireproof safe is UL Classified to endure 1 hour at 1700°F and keep interior temperatures safe for irreplaceable documents, valuables, DVDs, and USBs; ETL Verified to withstand a 15 foot fall during a fire and remain closed
- Waterproof safe is ETL Verified for 24 hours of protection in water up to 8 inches deep offering peace of mind in the event of a flood
- Set your own digital combination fire safe with secondary locking key for strong security; digital combination safe features six live-locking bolts, steel construction, pry-resistant hinge bar, drawer, file organizer, interior light, and bolt down hardware
- Exterior: 18.6 in. W x 19.3 in. D x 23.8 in. H; door requires 17.5 in. of clearance to fully open; Interior: 14.8 in. W x 11.9 in. D x 19.6 in. H; large 2.05 cubic foot capacity; weighs 125 pounds
- STRONG & SECURE: The safe box is made of reinforced solid steel wall construction. Dual security steel door locking bolts & a corrosion & stain-resistant powder coat finish keeps the drop box safe
- EASY TO INSTALL: The home safe box has pre-drilled holes for wall or floor mounting. Includes mounting bolts, and four AA batteries to control the battery operated digital panel
- FINGER SENSOR TECHNOLOGY: The combination of the safe box features a digital touch screen control pad for added security. Users must use their thumb finger & should make sure the finger they use is dry & scar-free
- UNIVERSAL PLACEMENT: Used for home, office and business use - pre-drilled holes allow you to mount and install the safe for permanent wall or floor mounting
- [Safe & Sturdy]: Tigerking high security digital safe is made of highly durable thick steel material for long lasting and reliable protection; Equipment with 3-sided, total 6 live-locking bolts offers physical protection from forced entry;
- [Interior]: Supper large inner space allows you to load almost all of your valuables including 14’’laptop, pistol, jewelry, documents, cash and more; The removable shelfs help you organize your important things easily; The inside locking box adds one more protection for your privacy; Soft inner layers prevent your unreplaced-cherished belongings from scratches or damages;
- [Digital Lock With Manual Override]: With your own digital combination, you can access your valuables very fast; The override key (emergency key) is in case that you forget your personal code; What’s more, this safe features secondary lock (master key lock) for an additional protection; Even someone get your code or emergency key, they will be shut out of the door if the secondary lock is locked;
- [Dual Alarm System]: For this security box, violent vibration or three- incorrect entries can activate the alarm system; Enter the correct code can stop the alarm;
- [Safe & Sturdy]:Tigerking high security digital safe is made of highly durable thick steel material for long lasting and reliable protection;Equipment with 3-sided,total 6 live-locking bolts offers physical protection from forced entry
- [Interior]:Supper large inner space allows you to load almost all of your valuables including 14‘’laptop,pistol,jewelry,documents,cash and more;The removable shelfs help you organize your important things easily;The inside locking box adds one more protection for your privacy;Soft inner layers prevent your unreplaced-cherished belongings from scratches or damages
- [Digital Lock With Manual Override]:With your own digital combination,you can access your valuables very fast;The override key (emergency key) is in case that you forget your personal code;What’s more ,this safe features secondary lock (master key lock) for an additional protection;Even someone get your code or emergency key ,they will be shut out of the door if the secondary lock is locked
- [Dual Alarm System]:For this security box,violent vibration or three- incorrect entries can activate the alarm system;Enter the correct code can stop the alarm
- 【STRONG & SECURE】：This home safety box is composed of a solid and seamless laser-cut casing, with tamper-proof recessed hinges, two 20 mm Live- locking bolts and a hardened steel base.It weights 24.2 pounds and is sturdier than all other safes in its class.
- 【Smart fingerprint biometric recognition system】：The safe utilizes advanced optical sensor technology to accommodate variability of finger placement and perform rapid fingerprint sensing and recognition. The system can store as many as 32 fingerprints – so it is no longer necessary to rely on complicated passcodes to open a safe. To quickly open the safe all you need are your fingers!
- 【Exterior dimensions and internal design 】：The exterior dimension are: 13.8 x 11 x 9.9 in.The interior dimensions are: 13.5 x 10.6 x 9.5 in. There is a collapsible interior partition. The safe can accommodate a 13.3 inch lap-top computer, A4 size paper – without folding ,prescription medicine and jewelry.
- 【Simply open the safe】：The Home safe can be opened by fingerprint, with a passcode or with a key. There are three keypads, and between 3 and 8 different private passwords can be stored, in order to allow trusted persons to open your personal safe either by key or by code. Do not store the keys inside the safe!
- STRONG & SECURE:Digital Locking- the Yuanshikj Electronic Safety Lock Box Is Equipped with an Easy to Program Digital Keypad That Is Simple to Lock and Unlock by Entering Your Security Combination. Two Emergency Keys Are Included for Faster and More Immediate Access.
- SMART CAPACITY:0.2-cubic-feet, Exterior :9.1" x 6.7"x 6.7", Interior size: :6.5" x 8.9" x 4.3" (Pls pay full attention to the dimension for this MINI safe box),It gives you easy personal access to your valuables .
- STRONG & SECURE: The mini safe box is made of reinforced solid steel wall construction. Dual security steel door locking bolts & a corrosion & stain-resistant powder coat finish keeps the drop box safe.
- Durable powder coated finish, Magnetic lock for auto-locking
- ★ DOUBLE DEADBOLT ELECTRONIC LOCK: The electronic password panel of the digital lock box is carefully designed to set a 3-8 digit password, and the key needs to be opened to double the security factor.
- ★ HEAVY DUTY STEEL BOLT: The thickened latch design of the double-bolt lock is made of thick chrome steel, which makes the door and the cabinet tightly interlocked and impeccable.
- ★ PORTABLE: The security safe can be suitable for home or business, which can be mounted on your wall or floor to keep it in one place. It can also conveniently be taken along in your car or hotel during travel.
- ★ OPTIMAL PROTECTION: Anti-theft to securely store your cash, jewelry, documents, passports, heirlooms, and more, which makes you enjoy the peace of mind all the time.
Last update on 2020-11-20 Source: Amazon Product Advertising API
Home Safe Buying Guide – Conclusion
There is a staggering 2 million home burglaries reported every year in the United States. That’s one every 13 seconds. That’s why installing house alarms and home safes is important for everyone. Choosing the best home safe for your needs can be daunting, but it’s worth doing. Anything you can do to make the burglar’s life more difficult will help protect your property and belongings.
We hope that you have found our home safe buying guide useful. If you did, please share it with your friends on social media. We’ll be bringing you more personal safety and security tips soon. If you’d like to be kept up to date with what’s new on Best Panic Alarm, please subscribe to our mailing list. Thanks again for reading our home safe buying guide. Come back and visit us again soon!