Pros and Cons of Wireless Home Security Systems
Wireless home security systems are very popular these days. The attraction of an easy to install, do it yourself, security alarm system is clear. There’s no fuss, no hassle, and you don’t have to pay a professional to do the job for you. Like all things, though, wireless home security systems have their drawbacks too. So, in this post, we look at the pros and cons of wireless home security systems. Let us know in the comments what your experiences of using a wireless home security system are.
What is a Wireless Home Security System?
Before we get into the questions of what the pros and cons of wireless home security systems are, let’s look at what wireless means in the context of a house alarm system.
A wireless system usually consists of several component devices. These usually include a keypad or control center, and entry sensors for windows and doors. There will also be motion sensors to detect movement in a room. Other devices might include security cameras, external alarm sirens and smoke detectors. As an example, the main image at the top of this post shows the setup of the popular Fortress WiFi Security Alarm System-S6.
In a hard-wired home alarm system, these devices would be mains-powered. They would connect to the control center by wires. In a wireless home alarm system, the devices are usually battery powered. They connect to the control panel via radio signals.
The wireless nature of a wireless burglar alarm might also extend to a connection to a monitoring service. This could be via a cell phone connection, rather than a landline. Some wireless home security systems, though, do use landline connections as well.
The best wireless home security systems also connect to your cell phone. Through an app, you can control the home security alarm and receive alerts. If you have a security camera linked up to your wireless house alarm, you will also be able to view images from the camera on the app.
The Pros of Wireless Home Security Systems
Wireless home security systems are easier to install and generally a lot cheaper than wired home alarms. That makes them a popular choice for people who want to install a burglar alarm system themselves. Here’s a roundup of the main advantages of wireless house alarms:
Quick and Easy to Install
Most wireless alarm systems come in DIY kits. You can have them installed and up and running in no time at all. There’s usually no drilling needed and no difficult wiring to do. Most of the devices will have sticky tape to attach them to the walls. Although, screwing them to walls is usually better.
Quick and Easy to Move
Wireless security systems are easy to uninstall as well. That means that you can take your house alarm system with you when you move home. It’s also a big advantage for home renters. You can secure your rental home without damaging the property.
Easy to Upgrade
Because the system isn’t hard wired, it’s easy to upgrade and change. It is easy to move devices and add new devices to the system.
No Wires for Burglars to Cut
With no wires between the detection devices and the control panel, a wireless home security system can be harder for a burglar to disable. It will also be harder for an intruder to see where the sensors are. This is because there are no wires running down the walls to give away the location of the sensors.
Modern wireless burglar alarm systems usually include a remote control. This can be via wireless key fobs, remote control units, and via an app on your phone. This means that you control your home security system without needing to use the control panel every time.
Cons of Wireless Home Security Systems
Even the best wireless home security systems have their drawbacks. For one thing, there’s all those batteries that will need replacing at some point! Here are the main disadvantages of wireless home alarm systems.
Although it’s not very common, wireless security systems can suffer from interference. Large metal objects, for example, can block the signal. Some types of electrical equipment could cause problems too. It is also possible that a burglar could jam a wireless house alarm if they had the right equipment.
It’s a lot of batteries!
All the detection devices in a wireless home alarm system usually run on batteries. The sensors will need to be periodically checked and the batteries replaced as needed. That can be a lot of batteries to check in a large home.
Possibility of Hacking
It could be possible for a burglar to hack a wireless system and block the signals. Some of the cheaper wireless alarm systems do not encrypt the signals between the sensors and the control panel.
Some Wireless Systems Do Have Wires
It’s a minor point, but some wireless house security systems use the mains power supply to power the control panel. Some also need telephone landlines to connect to a monitoring service. If you do not have a landline, make sure you check the system requirements before you buy a wireless home alarm.
Best-Selling Wireless Home Security Systems
Here is a list of some of the best-selling wireless home security systems to give you an idea of what is avialble on the market right now.
- Ready to protect right out of the box. Just plug in the base station, place your sensors, and start protecting your home in minutes - no tools required.
- Optional 24/7 professional monitoring with police, fire & medical dispatch starting at 50c/day - No contracts.
- Sound the alarm. Pioneering signal burst technology that is powerful enough to cover homes of every size, with up to 1000 ft. range -- no extender needed.
- Panic Button instantly triggers the alarm and dispatch police fast - with silent panic option to signal for help discreetly.
- REMOTE CONTROL You can control this burglar alarm system Arm/Disarm/Voice Monitoring /Intercom by cellphone anywhere(Need a T-mobile SIM card)
- SCARE BURGLAR AWAY When someone trigger this system that will be alarm to scare thief away and also will make a phone or sending a message to someone which you save the phone
- BUILT-IN BATTERY This system work well when someone cut wires or power off. You don’t worry other people intrude your house when power off
- CELLPHONE FUNCTION This main unit can make the phones like a cellphone so this also is a spare mobile phone
- No monthly fees and contracts with security companies,No network, standalone on-site alarming; Put-in a GSM SIM card (This alarm do not including GSM sim card) to call/send alert message, you can choose one of two ways or use all of them. The whole system complete with fully programmable main unit and wireless sensors. Before using, please kindly read user's manual
- Network Support: The alarm panel built-in GSM Module, it support GSM SIM card, T-Mobile sim card can work with our system (This alarm do not including GSM sim card). When the sensor is triggered, the alarm panel will make an call or send alert message to the alert phone number you set before. The GSM (only) frequency is 850/900/1800/1900MHZ, which can be applied in all over the world; In GSM status, 6 groups calling alert phone number and 2 groups help SMS number you can set
- Loud Emergency Alarm and Easy to Get Help: Children and seniors at home in emergency, press the emergency alarm button of the remote controller, which will trigger all alarms and send emergency calls and messages to other families, so they can get help in time. Support 6 groups preset alarm phone number, if alarm occurs, the host will dial preset number automatically and 10 seconds help voice recording
- Defense Zone Support: Allow up to 99 wireless defense zones and 8 wired zones, 5 groups of scheduled arm/disarmed function; 2 wired siren for different size houses as you need; DIY home security, tool-free setup and assembling, plug and play installation
- 📢 Wifi security system: With a free IOS/Android smartphone app, it can be easily controlled by arming, disarming, and home modes with also a simple remote control. In the event of an emergency, you can also seek help by pressing the “SOS” button to send a help signal
- 📢 APP Control: When important entry areas such as windows/doors are opened, or when motion is detected, get a instant push alerts on your phone and an alarm will issue a 120dB alert. The main controller hub is responsible for connecting with all of the sensors
- 📢 The Extensibility: It supports expansion of up to 20 sensors and 5 remote controls paired with one main panel hub. If it loses power, it has backup battery to support 8 hours working. It can support rename different zone name, sensors name, and zone property name
- 📢 Compatible and Network Support: Voice control is compatible with Amazon Alexa/Echo and Google home ,Wi-Fi connection, and only works on 2. 4GHz bandwidth. It does not support 5GHz networks
- ✅10 times Longer Range - Powered by LoRa technology, YoLink brings the longest receiving range (1/4 mile) in the market. Our long coverage enables its use in hard-to-reach areas such as basement, porch, guest suite, barns, greenhouse, etc.
- ✅5 times Longer Battery life - Powered by 2 AAA included Alkaline batteries with 5 years of battery life compared to 1 year of other top brands; Battery status will be updated and low battery alert will be sent within YoLink APP
- ✅Work with Alexa - Get voice announcements from Alexa Echo when door open or close; IFTTT Supported - Trigger event pipelines by using IFTTT, such as receiving Notifications, Emails, Calls, etc when the door or window is opened or closed
- ✅Instant Notification - Automatically receive mobile notifications when doors or windows are opened or closed; Get a reminder when doors keep open; Check the history of all activities in the app
- We offer the newest version siren host from Aug,2020;different from old one is setup guide,PLEASE NOTE an important tips:have to trigger the sensors within 6 seconds during the operation,or need pug in/out again into setting status.DOOR ALARM uses remote control to set security code for arming/disarming;home alarm system complete with fully programmable main unit and sensors,if you want to DIY,please restore factory as manual or operation video,then add them again.
- DIY expandable home burglar security alarm system-this alarm horn support up to 30 pcs wireless detectors,8 remote keyfobs,loud up to 115db deluxe door alarm system for peace of mind.
- Complete DIY wireless house burglar alarm system kits includes a horn and three window/door sensors,two remote controls,two pir motion detectors, loud alarming to protect well for apartment shed hotel garage RV motor home safety ,affordable home security.
- Loud SOS alarm and easy to get help-children and seniors at home in emergency,press the S button of the remote controller,which will trigger the siren alarm up to 115db to notice neighbors or other families in home so that they will get help in time.
- Extended battery life – 2 year battery life on two AA lithium batteries with a combination of two-way talk, live view, and motion recording. Double the usage of the XT on a single set of batteries when recording video.
- 2-way audio – Talk to visitors through the Blink app on your smartphone or tablet.
- Customizable motion detection – Use activity zones to choose where motion is detected so you receive the alerts that matter.
- Free cloud storage – Keep hundreds of clips stored up to a year with no monthly fees or service contract required.
- 🔥 Loud Emergency Alarm and Easy to Get Help: Children and seniors at home in emergency, press the emergency alarm button of the remote controller, which will trigger all alarms and send emergency calls and messages to other families, so they can get help in time. Support 6 groups preset alarm phone number, if alarm occurs, the host will dial preset number automatically and 10 seconds help voice recording
- 🔥 Network Support: The alarm panel built-in GSM Module, it support GSM SIM card, T-Mobile sim card can work with our system (This alarm do not including GSM sim card). When the sensor is triggered, the alarm panel will make an call or send alert message to the alert phone number you set before. The GSM (only) frequency is 850/900/1800/1900MHZ, which can be applied in all over the world; In GSM status, 6 groups calling alert phone number and 2 groups help SMS number you can set
- 🔥 The alarm system can be used internationally, it can work under two conditions: No monthly fees and contracts with security companies. No network, standalone on-site alarming; Put-in a GSM SIM card (This alarm do not including GSM sim card) to call/send alert message, you can choose one of two ways or use all of them. The whole system complete with fully programmable main unit and wireless sensors. Before using, please kindly read user's manual
- 🔥 The alarm panel built-in AAA Ni-Hi rechargeable battery that can last about 8 hours (In the case of power off, the host can continue to work for 8 hours). Door/Window contacts detect any forceful break-in, passive motion sensors detect any suspicious movement or activity, loud, small wired siren up to 110db alarm alerts neighbors and deters potential intruders
- A great fit for 1-2 bedroom homes, this kit includes one base station, one keypad, four contact sensors, one motion detector, and one range extender.
- Put whole-home security at your fingertips with Ring Alarm, a do-it-yourself alarm system with optional 24/7 professional monitoring for $10/month.
- Voted #1 for Customer Satisfaction with DIY Home Security Systems by JD Power, this award-winning system now includes a more intuitive keypad with emergency buttons and smaller contact sensors to seamlessly blend into your home.
- Receive mobile notifications when your system is triggered, change your Alarm modes, and monitor all your Ring devices all through the Ring app.
- Easy to control Wi-Fi connection works on 2 4GHz bandwidth With free IOS/Android smartphone app You can adjust whole system setting on app in your own phone anywhere anytime
- Wireless home Security system wireless door/window sensors used on doors windows cabinets and any important entry areas of your home Wireless PIR motion sensor to detect movement within 8Meter 110° field of view coverage day and night It can mount on a wall in a corner to protect against intruder that enter without opening a door or window
- Reliable system The main controller hub is responsible for connecting with all of sensors triggers siren loud around 120dB to scare burglars With backup battery support 8hours working if lose power support rename different zone(8 zones) name sensors name zone property name then hub will tell you exactly what happened and which door window or cabinet just opened so that you can track and make better informed decisions
- Diy home security system No contracts no monthly monitoring fee 8pcs sensors (6 sets wireless door/window sensors 1 set wireless PIR motion sensor and 1 set SOS alarm button) and 2pcs remote controls paired with one main Panel hub All control in app by your smart phone
Last update on 2020-08-10 Source: Amazon Product Advertising API
Pros and Cons of Wireless Home Security Systems – Conclusion
We hope you found this pros and cons of wireless home security systems post helpful. In summary, wireless home security systems are easier and cheaper to install than hard-wired alarm systems. They are suitable for rental properties, and you can take them with you when you move home. The issues of interference and hacking are relatively minor ones. Most burglars do not carry hacking and jamming equipment with them.
If you own a priceless art collection, you would get a professionally installed alarm system. You’d need to do that to satisfy your insurance company. If you want to secure the average family home, though, a wireless home security system is an effective and affordable way to do it.
To learn more about wireless home security systems, read our Best Wireless Home Security System Reviews.