SimpliSafe Home Security System
Welcome to our review of the SimpliSafe Home Security System.
Founded by Harvard Business School students Chad and Eleanor Laurans, SimpliSafe has come a long way since 2006. Their first system was designed to be a low-cost, contract-free security system for renters. Since then, the SimpliSafe home security system has grown significantly in sophistication. The company has grown considerably, too, and has now gone international.
SimpliSafe’s latest home security product range includes a smart doorbell, security cameras, and more. And, of course, the much-improved home security kit. Indeed, many independent reviewers have rated the SimpliSafe home security system as the best DIY wireless home security system.
So, you have probably seen the TV ads by now. But how well does the SimpliSafe home security system stack up against the competition? Is the SimpliSafe wireless alarm system sophisticated enough for a 21st Century home? Is the security system as easy to install as the maker says? Here’s a rundown of what you get for your money when you buy a SimpliSafe home security system.
Header Image: SimpliSafe 8 Piece Wireless Home Security System.
SimpliSafe Home Security System – What’s in The Box?
The SimpliSafe wireless home security system is available in a variety of starter kits. The kits include the base unit, the keypad, and varying numbers of sensors to suit different sized homes.
You would probably need to purchase additional sensors to customize the system to your precise needs. However, the kits provide an excellent place to get you started securing your home. And you can always add additional sensors and accessories to the system later.
It’s worth noting that kits don’t merely incrementally increase the number of sensors. The accessories in each kit vary, too. So, we advise that you check that what you get in each kit will meet your requirements before you buy. Here’s a summary of what you get in the kits available on Amazon when writing this review.
SimpliSafe Home Security System – Kit Contents
Last update on 2021-04-08 Source: Amazon Product Advertising API
SimpliSafe Home Security System 12-Piece Kit Review
To give you an idea of what you get for your money, we looked at the contents and features of the 12-piece kit.
The SimpliSafe home security system 12-piece kit is the most comprehensive SimpliSafe home security kit currently available. The kit contains five entry sensors, two motion sensors, a key fob and panic button, and a SimpliSafe security camera in addition to the base station and keypad.
SimpliSafe System Overview
First, let’s talk about quality. One of the first things you notice about the SimpliSafe home security system is that this is a quality piece of kit despite the system’s modest price. All the components look well-made. Even the packaging and instruction manual has a professional look to them. A cheap imported wireless alarm system, this is not.
The base station is the “brains” of the system. The base is mains powered with battery back in case there is a power outage. The sensors are battery-powered. The batteries have a 5-10 year lifespan.
The SimpliSafe home security system is entirely wireless, so installation is easy. And pairing the sensors to the base station is a simple plugin and go exercise.
The wireless system has a rand of up to 1,000 feet. And, unlike some other wireless security systems, there is no need for a signal booster. So, the SimpliSafe wireless burglar alarm system is suitable for large homes and apartments and smaller homes.
The base station connects with an app that you can install on your phone or tablet. You can control the system from the app, and you will receive notifications and alerts on the app, too. If you have a SimpliSafe security camera or a smart doorbell installed, you can view images from the cameras.
- Ready to protect right out of the box. Just plug in the base station, place your sensors, plug in your Simplicam and start protecting your home in minutes - no tools required.
- Optional 24/7 professional monitoring and cloud recording with police, fire & medical dispatch starting at 50c/day - No contracts (SimpliSafe products and professional monitoring services are only offered for sale and supported in the US)
- Sound the alarm. Pioneering signal burst technology that is powerful enough to cover homes of every size, with up to 1000 ft. range -- no extender needed.
- The SimpliCam security camera lets you see what’s happening at home anytime from your phone, tablet or computer and comes with a built-in stainless steel shutter for complete control over privacy.
Last update on 2021-04-08 Source: Amazon Product Advertising API
The SimpliSafe home security system can operate with or without a professional monitoring service. The monitoring service would be the best option. And there is no contract involved, so you can easily opt-out again if you so wish.
There are two paid SimpliSafe monitoring service plans available, Standard or Interactive. The extra features you get with the interactive plan are remote arm and disarm, video verification, unlimited video storage and on-demand recording, and secret alerts.
The full, 24/7 interactive monitoring service includes video verification, which is a nice feature. If the alarm system is triggered, a monitoring service operator will check for intruders via the camera for you. You can, of course, switch off the cameras when you are at home.
The interactive monitoring means faster police response because it allows SimpliSafe to confirm an intruder’s presence on the premises. In an emergency, both you and the emergency responders will be contacted.
The SimpliSafe entry sensors are smart-looking and unobtrusive.
The magnet can be placed up to two inches from the sensor, so no need to worry if your windows and doors don’t fit flush to the frames.
Ideally, you would have entry sensors on every door and window of a property. There are five entry sensors included with the 12-piece kit. Extra entry sensors can be purchased singly or in packs of four.
The sensors have a range of 45ft and a 90° field of vision. One sensor placed in a corner will cover an entire room.
The motion sensors can be fitted with either double-sided tape or screws, both of which are supplied. Like the entry sensors, the motion detectors look smart and almost unnoticeable in a room.
The SimpliSafe home security system 12-piece kit comes with two motion sensors, and extra motion sensors can be purchased separately. You can have up to 100 sensor devices working with a single SimpliSafe base station.
One key fob is included in the 12-pice kit.
The fob allows you to arm and disarm the system and switch between home and away modes.
The fob also has a panic button to alert the monitoring service should you need help in an emergency.
The SimpliSafe fob has a range of up to 30ft.
The key fob is an excellent extra accessory to have. However, there is one small issue with the device. You cannot replace the key fob batteries; you must buy a new key fob when the batteries run down. However, the batteries do last for 5-10 years, so the lack of replaceable batteries is not a significant issue.
The SimpliSafe panic button allows you to call for help in an emergency. When you press the button, the SimpliSafe monitoring service will be alerted. A SimpliSafe monitoring agent will contact you. If they don’t get a response or you don’t give them the safe word, the emergency services will be alerted.
The panic button is a great accessory to add to the SimpliSafe home security system. You can keep one by your bed or install several around your home. The panic button would be handy for people living alone.
One panic button is included in the 12-pice kit. And you can purchase the panic button separately if you want more than one or buy a kit that does not include this item. However, please do bear in mind that this device will only work if you have the professional monitoring service.
The SimpliSafe home security system 12-piece kit also includes a SimpliCam security camera, which provides live video streaming. The security camera can also be purchased separately.
The SimpliCam is a motion-activated security camera designed to recognize humans rather than pets. The device is a 1080p camera with a 120-degree field of vision and night vision. The unit also picks up audio and sends alerts via the SimpliSafe app.
The SimpliSafe is not the best security camera on the market. However, it provides a valuable extra layer of security when used in conjunction with the SimpliSafe home security system. And, of course, if you want to take advantage of the SimpliSafe video verification service mentioned above, you will need at least one camera.
Additional Sensors and Accessories
The SimpliSafe home security system can be expanded by adding extra sensors and accessories. The range of devices available is comprehensive. You could set up an extremely robust home security system for a reasonable cost. And, you don’t have to buy all the devices at once. You can add more sensors and accessories to your security system as and when you wish.
Other sensors in the SimpliSafe home security system range include glass-break sensors, flood detectors, and temperature sensors. There is also an auxiliary siren that you can add to the system.
The SimpliSafe home security range also includes a smart doorbell and a smart door lock that you can add to your home security system.
- The SimpliSafe Smart Lock makes sure your door is always locked. Even if you forget. It locks your door the minute you arm your system or automatically on a timer.
- Get alerts when anyone locks or unlocks your door. So you know when the kids come home from school or the contractors leave for the day.
- If someone enters the wrong PIN five times, our lock will notify you. After 15 attempts, it automatically locks your home for 30 minutes.
- Lock and unlock your door using the PIN pad, the Key Fob or your phone. You can also sync your system with Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant and use that, too.
- Package? Delivered. Dog? Walked. Front yard? All clear. Bad guys? Not here. Watch over it all—without leaving your seat—with the SimpliSafe Video Doorbell Pro.
- Unlike other doorbell cameras, Video Doorbell Pro uses two different sensors - one sensor identifies the heat signature of people, another detects human form. You’ll only get alerts for things that count.
- We custom built how our doorbell uses power, so it can work with almost any type of home or doorbell setup.
- With a super wide field of view, you can see everything happening out front in the bright light of day or dark of night—in perfectly crisp 1080p HD.
- With SimpliCam you can see and hear what’s happening at home any time, anywhere, from any device. You can see everything that happens at home in crystal clear HD from your smartphone, laptop or tablet. All for free in the SimpliSafe app.
- Someone home who shouldn’t be? Not for long. SimpliCam notifies you the instant it detects unusual activity, so you can see what happened and take action.
- SimpliCam’s intelligent detection algorithms are calibrated to detect the unique heat signature of humans, so the alerts you get are the ones that matter.
- Flawless Streaming - with SimpliCam you get crystal clear HD video that loads quickly and plays smooth.
- Be notified of possible home flooding with this SimpliSafe water sensor
- Alerts you whenever it comes into contact with fluid with an audible alert
- Place in areas where flooding or water damage may occur
- Ready to work right out of the box Your water sensor comes pre-installed with batteries and adhesive
- Engineered with precise sound detection to tell the difference between an intruder smashing a window or a plate breaking.
- Detects sound within a 20 ft. range to provde reliable security
- Setup is a Snap. Place it in the room you want to monitor and 'Add Device' with your SimpliSafe keypad.
- Ready to work right out of the box, your glassbreak sensor comes pre-installed with batteries and adhesive.
- Protect your home from frozen pipes in winter and make sure your home is a safe temperature for pets in the summer.
- Sounds the alarm if the temperature drops out of threshold range, which is customizable to fit your needs. (0°F to 127°f)
- Protect precious belongings like instruments, paitings, and plants in a climate controlled room
- Ready to work right out of the box, Your temperature sensor comes pre-installed with batteries and adhesive.
- Protect your home from break-ins with this SimpliSafe auxiliary siren.
- 105dB alarm alerts burglars that the police are on the way.
- Weatherized for installation indoors or in sheltered areas outdoors.
- Ready to work right out of the box, Your auxiliary siren comes pre-installed with batteries and adhesive.
Last update on 2021-04-08 Source: Amazon Product Advertising API
The SimpliSafe home security system is an excellent low-cost home security system. The kits provide a great way to get you started with the basics. And then, you can customize your security solution with extra sensors and accessories.
Installation is straightforward, and the professional monitoring service is available at a reasonable price. We particularly like the video verification service that will ensure that police are dispatched to your home faster than they might be otherwise.
In terms of price, the SimpliSafe home security system is, of course, significantly cheaper than a hard-wired, professionally installed burglar alarm system. And the SimpliSafe system is on a par in terms of pricing with competitors like Ring. There are cheaper wireless home security systems. But these are likely to be inferior quality imports.
The SimpliSafe home security system is compatible with Alexa and Google Assistant. And the system has some excellent security features that do not exist in other wireless alarm systems. For example, if a burglar takes out the keypad, the alarm will still be triggered. And there is dual cellular and WiFi connectivity, too.
Customer reviews of the SimpliSafe security system are overwhelmingly positive. At the time of writing, the kits had an average 4.5 out of 5 start-rating on Amazon.
The system comes with a three-year warranty. But ensure that you buy from SimpliSafe direct or the SimpliSafe Store on Amazon. If you purchase a SimpliSafe alarm system from an unauthorized reseller, you may invalidate the warranty. Also, please be aware that there are earlier versions of the SimpliSafe security system still available. So, be sure that you buy the latest “New-Generation” security system and accessories.
So, the SimpliSafe Home Security System gets the Best Panic Alarm thumbs up. But, of course, it is not the only wireless home security system on the market. We will be reviewing more home security systems for you soon. And we will be bringing you some easy-to-follow home security system comparisons as well.
If you would like us to notify you when we have new home safety and security product reviews or tips, why not subscribe to our mailing list? We never send spam, and we never share your details with any third parties – That’s a promise!
Many thanks for taking the time to visit Best panic Alarm. We hope this page has been useful. Come back to visit our site soon! In the meantime, have a great day, and stay safe.